between the world and me

13:14


Talking about a book on here is something new for me; I love to read but I don't always do it, it's something I can only do when I'm 'in the mood to'. However, Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates is a book that I have had to read for my Race in America module in university and I absolutely loved it.

The book is written in a letter format to his son, and its content is hard hitting. This isn't a book review as I don't really know how to go about writing one but I think it's an important read for everyone. Especially with society and the way that race is viewed in the contemporary world it puts a lot of things into perspective about history and how people feel now. 

It's a very easy read and not long at 152 pages. I actually listened to the audiobook on audible and that lasted for around 3 and a half hours. Once you read a book like this it leaves you wanting to know a lot more about Black History and if you end up watching related films you see what Coates speaks about being showcased. 

It's certainly an emotional book and it's moving in its own right, it makes you think of life as you know it and question it all. Coates reflects on his childhood growing up in Baltimore and how he feels it has shaped him, he is trying to teach his son about how his life will end up being but in a more gentle way. 

I don't doubt that there will be a lot of reviews online about the book if you want to know more, but the best thing you could do is read this book for yourself. Educate yourself on the things that are going on around you. Between The World And Me is a must read!

*All of the above was written at the start of the year and this post was saved as a draft, however, I still believe that with everything that has occurred in America over the last few months this book is a necessity!*

xo 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe